Hi, I tried one and didn't like it. I like apricots but not plums.
Anna
----- Original Message ----- From: "Helen Whitehead via Cookinginthedark" <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
To: "cooking-in-the-dark" <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2015 11:10 AM
Subject: [CnD] what is an aprium?

       Hi everyone,
I was at my daughter's house on Friday, and she let me taste an aprium. I
had never heard of this fruit before.
They were good! It's a cross between an apricot and a plum.
She bought them at Costco, here in Ontario, Canada.
Here is what I found on Google.
An aprium is a hybridized fruit which incorporates plum and
apricot
genetics. The fruits are available from specialty growers, who sometimes
also sell to markets and greengrocers. Much like their relatives, apriums
can
be eaten in an assortment of dishes, or right off the tree. The fruit is
extremely sweet, with strong apricot overtones and a hint of plum.

The aprium was developed by Floyd Zaiger of Zaiger Genetics, a firm in
Modesto, California. Zaiger Genetics specializes in developing high quality
fruit
hybrids, including the pluot. The company holds a trademark for the aprium, along with a variety of other fruit hybrids. The fruit is more than a simple
cross between plums and apricots. Creating the aprium required several
generations of breeding, ultimately yielding a fruit which contains 75%
apricot
and 25% plum.

In appearance, an aprium resembles an apricot without the fuzz. Like both
apricots and plums, the aprium is a stone fruit, and the company has
developed
numerous varietals. Honey Rich, Tasty Rich, Flavor Ann, and Flavor Delight
are all commonly cultivated varieties of aprium, with slightly different
flavors
and maturation rates. Both commercial and home growers can order young trees
from several sources, most of which are located in California.

The trees should be planted on well drained soil in warm areas out of the
wind. Fruit trees appreciate being pruned annually, and will bear the best
fruit
if they are well cared for, either by a gardener or by a pruning
professional. Gardeners should also make sure that their aprium trees are
well watered
and fertilized for the best yield, and they should keep an eye out for
disease. Aprium branches can also be grafted onto existing apricot trees,
for gardeners
with limited space.

The intensely sweet flavor of the aprium can make an excellent addition to
pies, salads, and preserves. As with other stone fruits, apriums should be
handled
with care so that they are not bruised, and a fruit pitter may be a valuable
tool for people handling them in high volume. An aprium is a climacteric
fruit,
meaning that it will continue to ripen after harvest, and it should be kept
away from bananas, as they emit
ethylene
gas which can hasten the ripening process. If apriums are slightly
underripe, they can be kept in a paper bag on the counter until they mature,
after
which they can be held in refrigeration before use.