I personally would not try baking the stuff you buy in the store in the oven.
Below is a recipe I've used for over 20 years. We learned it in high school in
a cooking class. To reduce the fat content you can use skim milk and reduced
fat cheeses.

Baked Macaroni and Cheese
1 pound box macaroni with ridges or cork scroos (cook in lightly salted boiling
water for about 2 minutes less than package directions

For the white Sauce:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 flour
2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups grated cheeses such as, Cheddar, Colby, Jack, Fontina, Cheddar with
garlic...
1/2 tsp. fresh black pepper
1/8 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
Fresh bred crumbs, fresh black pepper and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese for topping
Once macaroni is cooked as directed above, let drain and cool.
After drained, pour macaroni back into pot.
Melt the butter in a large sauce pan. Stir in the flour. Continue to stir until
it thickens. Be sure to not burn the flour--by letting it stick to the sides of
the pot.
Pour in the milk and increase the heat slightly. When milk almost comes to a
boil start adding the cheses.
Once the cheeses start melting, stir in the black pepper, sage and dry mustard.
(Spices help enhance the flavors of the cheese.)
Once cheses are all melted. Pour over macaroni in pot. Stir to combine.
Pour into a 9 by 13 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with olive oil or
greased with butter.
Using the back of a flat spatula flatten top of macaroni and spread to the
edges of the pan.
Combine toppings in a bowl and using a slotted spoon sprinkle over top of
macaroni.
Bake at 350 F. for 35-45 minutes.
If you want a creamy sauce, you can use  cheeses with a more creamy texture.