Along the same lines, I'd like to make home made onion rings either in the oven or, preferably, in a deep fryer. I do not, however, want them to be thick. The thinner the better. I'm looking for techniques used by members of this list, and certainly not recipes taken from the Internet that you haven't tried personally. Please include step by step instructions from start to finish as a totally blind person. Thanks.

-----Original Message----- From: Will Henderson via Cookinginthedark
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 6:16 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: Will Henderson
Subject: [CnD] Dealing with onions

I know this might be a strange question, but seeing as how I'm so new at
cooking, I feel I can ask this.

I finally am getting beyond using the crock pot or quick one skillet meals
and want to begin to increase what kinds of things I use.

Several of the things I want to do require onions.

What's the best way of dealing with them in the way of peeling them?  Does
anyone use any special tools or techniques?  I know there are several
layers, but how does one know when it's peeled and ready to chop or slice?

I do have one of those onion chopper devices, so how do I know when I can
begin using that?

Thanks.