I know someone who actually does use a smoke detector to indicate that his
steak is ready to be taken off of the indoor grill.  I thought that he was
kidding me until I witnessed him doing it.  He likes them extremely well done,
to the point of actually being to the point at which you can actually hear the
meat crack when he cuts it with a knife.  I suppose that tastes differ greatly,
because I am the exact opposite.  I like mine to be just beyond the mooing
stage.  In restaurants, they purposely cook them just a bit less done than you
order them.  The reasoning is that if a steak is not done enough to your
liking, it can be cooked a bit more.  If it has been overlooked, they will have
to cook another one for you.  With this in mine, I always order them extra
rare.  They usually come out close enough to my liking.

Sent from my iPhone7+