I am so saddened to hear this; never had the privilege of knowing her.
Sandy

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment!
-----Original Message-----
From: Becky McCougle via Cookinginthedark
[mailto:cookinginthedark@acbradio.org]
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 10:18 AM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: Becky McCougle
Subject: Re: [CnD] OT Sad News

so sorry to hear this

Sent from my iPhone

<cookinginthedark@acbradio.org> wrote:

> I'm sorry to be sending this, but I thought you'd want to know.  Longtime
list member Alice Jackson has passed away, and I'm forwarding her obituary.
I am going to miss her very much.  When I got out of law school and had lots
of time because I didn't have a job, Alice helped me improve my cooking
skills.  But we didn't just do cooking.  Around the holidays I still
remember a lesson on wrapping packeages.  But we didn't just do boxes.  She
showed me a lovely way to wrap a liquor bottle if it didn't come in a box.
What a special person she was!
> Alice B. Jackson, 64, of Hamden was called home to the Lord on Sunday,
November 20, 2016 after a brief illness. The daughter of the late Fred and
Frances (Barnum) Jackson, Alice was blind from birth, but she did not let it
stop her from living a very full and productive life.

> Alice was raised in Norwalk, and was one of the first disabled students to
be "mainstreamed" in the public schools. She graduated from Norwalk High
School and attended the University of Connecticut, where she earned a
master's degree in social work. She had a long career with the state's
Services for the Blind, teaching people who had lost their vision how to
regain their independence.

> Alice's intelligence, grace, courage, humor and warmth brought her a wide
circle of devoted friends. She was a capable advocate for the disabled all
her adult life, serving as president of her local Lion's Club, and active at
both the state and national level in organizations for the blind.

> Alice was extremely musical. She sang in the children's choir at St.
Paul's church, and in her teens she gained widespread recognition for her
heartfelt interpretations of folk songs, accompanying herself on the guitar.
Later she studied voice and often lent her fine lyric soprano to classical
performances in the area.

> Alice was also a talented cook. All of her friends and family looked
forward to her Christmas cookies each year. She was an accomplished knitter
and crocheter, an avid reader, a technology enthusiast and a lifelong cat
lover.

> Alice's life was strongly rooted in faith. She was an active member of St.
Peter's Episcopal Church in Cheshire where she sang in the choir for many
years. She studied faith healing so that she could minister to those in
physical or emotional pain, and became a powerful "prayer warrior," praying
each day for healing and peace for our troubled world.

> Alice is survived by her three brothers, Fred (Ted) Jackson and his wife
Vickie of Lakeland, Florida, Daniel Jackson and his wife Mary of Ridgefield,
and John Jackson and his wife Emily of Milford; her sister, June Jackson of
Edmonds, Washington; as well as many nieces and nephews.

> Relatives and friends are invited to attend a Memorial service for Alice
on Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 11:00am at St. Peters Episcopal Church,
Cheshire. Visitation with Alice's family will take place on Friday, December
9, 2016 from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm at BEECHER & BENNETT FUNERAL HOME, Hamden.
Interment will be private.

> Memorial donations in Alice's name may be made to the Lion's Club at
www.lcif.org, or the American Federation of the Blind, 2 Penn Plaza, Suite
1102, New York, NY 10121 or St. Peter's Church, 59 Main St., Cheshire, CT
06410. To share a condolence with Alice's family please visit
www.beecherandbennett.com.