From: Nicole Massey via Cookinginthedark [mailto:cookinginthedark@acbradio.org]
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2017 3:05 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: Nicole Massey
Subject: Re: [CnD] Learning to boil water!

Hector, do you have an NLS/BARD membership? If so then there are some excellent
resources you can use. They've got Cooking Without Looking, (not to be confused
with the book When the Cook can't Look) that has a lot of strong tips for blind
folks. Crockery Cookery is also great for using a slow cooker. For simple
recipes they've got one of the Girl Scout cookbooks and several cookbooks aimed
at children that should provide good simple recipes that don't require a lot of
tools or advanced techniques. When you want to advance your skills they've got
the four standard kitchen reference cookbooks -- Better Homes & Gardens, The
Joy of Cooking, Betty Crocker, and the 1918 Fannie Farmer cookbook. The Joy of
Cooking is especially good for techniques.
Cooking isn't hard, but it will take some practice. I'd suggest that you keep
easy preparation meal items around, like sandwich stuff, as a backup. Just
about every cook has a cooking failure sometimes, and knowing that such
problems are okay and you're not going to have to go hungry can be comforting.
If at all possible get help from a local blind services agency with this. An
understanding of measurements, assistance in labeling your ingredients so you
know where to find them, and a sighted person to help guide you through knife
skills until you get comfortable with them are all great benefits to learning
how to cook. Knife skills will make more difference to cooking ability than
just about anything else, and remember that the only thing you have to watch
out for on a knife is the edge -- the rest of it is harmless unless someone is
using it to beat someone with, and I've never heard of anyone doing that with a
knife. Demystify them and they become the useful tools they're designed to be.
(And keep them sharp, as a dull knife is far more dangerous than a razor sharp
one)
Since your stove is, for all intents and purposes, inaccessible you might want
to get a hot plate to cook on, one with a defined edge of the heating element.
A microwave oven, either marked or talking, is also extremely helpful. A
toaster oven is also a popular option, and other devices can make things easier
too. I love my old pizza cooker because it gives me a controllable environment
for making a frozen pizza, for example. (I can make other things on it too,
like pizza rolls and English muffin pizzas or tuna melts)
Feel free to ask questions here. This is a good group of folks and there are
also some folks who train blind folks how to do things like this for their
livelihood, so they're going to have some excellent tips. Remember that there
are pretty much no commandments in cooking, so a technique might not work for
you but you won't be the first or last person to have that difficulty, and
other techniques exist. Also remember to start cooking before you get hungry
and take your time. And if someone lacks patience then they're not helping you
by taking over. Also make it clear that your kitchen is your space, and ask
folks to put things back where you had them because you need to know where
things are when you reach for them.