From: Food Dude via Cookinginthedark
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 7:56 AM
To: cooking in the dark
Cc: Food Dude
Subject: [CnD] Steaks - Cuts Defined & Suggested Cooking Methods

Howdy All,

Hope y'all find this info helpful.

Filet Mignon
Common Names:
Filet
Filet Mignon
Fillet
Tenderloin Filet
Tenderloin Steak
Tournedos (Tenderloin Tips)

The most tender beef cut. Lean yet succulent and elegant.
Melt-in-your-mouth texture, subtle flavor and compact shape.
Cooking Methods:
Grilling
Sauteing
Sirloin  Steak
Common Names:
Top Sirloin
Family-sized steak that offers lean, well-flavored and moderately tender
beef at an affordable every day price. Convenient and a great value with
no bones
Cooking Methods:
Broiling;
Grilling;
Sauteing
T-bone Steak
Common Names:
T-Bone

This well-marbled cut consists of two lean, tender steaks - the strip
and tenderloin - connected by a telltale T-shaped bone. In a T-Bone, the
tenderloin is between 1/2 and 1 1/4 inches in diameter.

Cooking Methods:
Grilling
Sautéing

Porterhouse
Common Names:
Porterhouse
This well-marbled classic steakhouse cut comes from the T-Bone which
consists of two tender steaks - the strip and tenderloin - connected by
a telltale T-shaped bone. a Porterhouse is the tenderloin and is 1 1/4
inch or larger in diameter.

Cooking Methods:
Grilling
Sautéing

Strip Steak
Common Names:
Kansas City Steak
Manhattan Steak
New York Strip
This premium lean steak is a steakhouse classic, known for its marbling,
tenderness and flavor.

Cooking Methods:
Grilling
Sautéing

Flank Steak
Lean and flavorful, and should be thinly sliced against the grain when
carving. An ideal choice to marinate.
Cooking Methods:
Grilling

Tenderloin Steak
Common Names:
Filet
Filet Mignon
Fillet
Tenderloin Filet
Tournedos (Tenderloin Tips)

The most tender beef cut. Lean yet succulent and elegant.
Melt-in-your-mouth texture, subtle flavor and compact shape.

Cooking Methods:
Grilling
Sautéing

Ribeye Steak
Common Names:
Delmonico Steak
Filet of Ribeye

This boneless steak is rich, tender, juicy and full-flavored, with
generous marbling throughout.
Cooking Methods:
Grilling
Sautéing

Prime Rib
Common Names:
Ribeye Roast

Rich flavor, juicy tenderness and majestic appearance. The grand
champion of beef roasts. One of the most tender beef cuts. Fine-grained
with generous marbling throughout.

Cooking Methods:
Roasting

Cowboy Steak
Common Names:
Bone-in Ribeye
Rib Steak Bone-In
Tomahawk Steak
Rich, juicy and very flavorful, with generous marbling throughout. A
cowboy steak has a short frenched bone; the tomahawk
Cooking Methods:
Grilling
Sautéing

Which is better, grass-fed or grain-finished beef?

All cattle are grass-fed and spend the majority of their lives on
pasture eating grass. As cattle grow, grains like corn and wheat are
added to their diets. This “grain finishing” enhances marbling in beef,
giving it the great flavor we all enjoy. All beef, no matter how it was
finished, is a good source of many essential nutrients, including zinc,
iron and protein. And all beef is raised by farmers and ranchers who are
passionate about bringing safe and wholesome beef to the table. As beef
lovers, we appreciate all types of beef, and we believe this answer is a
matter of taste.

What USDA grade of beef is equivalent to the Certified Angus Beef ® brand?

While there is overlap between U.S Department of Agriculture (USDA)
grades of beef and premium brands like ours, there are some differences
– and our standards have always ensured a great eating experience that
goes beyond the USDA grade.

The USDA first inspects all beef for wholesomeness and safety,
regardless of the grade or brand it may earn. Then, most beef is graded
by the USDA, to give consumers an indication of its quality. The grades
of beef you’re likely to see are Prime (the very best), then Choice,
then Select. USDA grades are primarily based on the amount of marbling –
the small flecks of fat that melt during cooking and deliver flavor and
juiciness.

Beyond USDA grades, beef may earn our premium Certified Angus Beef ®
brand name if it meets all of our 10 quality standards – the most
important of which is marbling. Our beef must have at least as much
marbling as the very best of USDA Choice or Prime, plus meet our
additional requirements – ensuring it is truly a cut above.

Is your beef really from Angus cattle?

Angus cattle, which are known to produce higher-quality beef, are
typically black in color. This black hair trait is a strong indicator of
Angus genetics, and has become the USDA standard by which cattle are
considered for all Angus brands and products. Beef that qualifies for
any Angus brand, including ours, is determined not by pedigree, but
rather by traits, like hair color, that are highly associated with the
Angus breed. For some brands, like the Certified Angus Beef ® brand,
Angus heritage is just the starting point. In addition, we have 10
exacting quality standards, which ensure only consistently flavorful,
tender and juicy beef earns our brand name.

Our Angus heritage is important to us, because Angus farmers and
ranchers actually own the Certified Angus Beef ® brand, and created the
vision for our high-quality beef nearly 40 years ago. In fact, ours is
the only brand owned by the American Angus Association®. We encourage
you to “meet” some Angus ranching families bringing high quality beef to
your table.

How does beef fit in a healthful diet?

Beef is a powerful protein that helps fuel active lifestyles for all
ages. And beef is the No. 1 food source for Protein, Vitamin B12 and
Zinc – we like to think of it as nature’s tastiest multivitamin! Science
continues to highlight the role beef plays in a healthful, well-balanced
diet.
It’s a great source of lean protein, too.
There are lots of lean cuts, which include choices for every craving –
look for “loin” or “round” in the name. Best of all,
lean beef can help control cholesterol and maintain heart health.

Keep on Cooking!

Dale Campbell and the Cooking in the Dark Gang