From: Eileen Scrivani via Cookinginthedark
[mailto:cookinginthedark@acbradio.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:13 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: Eileen Scrivani
Subject: [CnD] Slow Roasting A Turkey.

Hi All,

I was telling my sister about the Turkey my sister-in-law made last year which
was not only slow roasted, but I think was possibly the most fabulous
Thanksgiving Day Turkey dinner I’ve had in a very long time. My SIL
slow-roasted 3 turkey breasts over night and it was not only delicious, but
tender and moist. I’m still undecided if I want to get my free turkey breast
from my local grocery store or not this Thanksgiving, since its just me, butI
still want to try this method of roasting one. My sister found the below on the
internet and I’m posting it for anyone who might be interested.

Eileen ...

Extremely Slow-Roasted Turkey Breast

Deb Lindsey for The Washington Post; tableware from Crate and Barrel

Nov 20, 2013

This preparation rises to the level of foolproof. As cookbook author Andrew
Schloss explains in his newest book, "By setting the oven thermostat at the
same temperature I want the meat to be done, overcooking becomes theoretically
impossible."

It's best to use a roasting pan that is not much larger than the breast itself.
If you slow-roast the turkey overnight (starting at midnight or 1 a.m.), it
will stay moist and warm enough to serve at a midday or early afternoon meal.

Make Ahead:  The seasoning rub can be assembled days in advance; cover and
store at room temperature. The turkey breast needs to be seasoned and air-dried
in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours. The seasoned, air-dried breast needs to
sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour before slow-roasting.

Servings: 8 - 10
Ingredients
list of 10 items
• 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
• 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
• 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried rosemary leaves • 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
leaves • 1 teaspoon rubbed sage (crumbled between your fingers) • 2 teaspoons
coarse sea salt • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper • One 7-to-9-pound
whole, skin-on, bone-in turkey breast • 1 large onion • 1 tablespoon olive oil
list end

Directions

Combine the thyme, basil, rosemary, marjoram, sage, salt and pepper in a small
bowl to create a seasoning rub, then rub it all over the turkey breast,
including the underside. Refrigerate the turkey, uncovered, for 12 to 24 hours.
The skin of the turkey breast will tighten and look dry.

The seasoned, air-dried breast needs to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes
to 1 hour before slow-roasting.

Meanwhile, cut the onion into about 8 wedges (from top to bottom), then arrange
them to cover the bottom of the roasting pan. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Place the turkey breast (breast meat side up) on the onion in the pan. Drizzle
the oil evenly over the breast. Roast for 15 minutes, then reduce the
temperature to 175 degrees. Roast for 8 to 9 hours or until the internal
temperature of the breast meat, when taken away from the bone, registers 165 to
170 degrees.

Let the turkey rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before carving, or tent
it loosely and carve several hours later.

Rate it

Recipe Source

Adapted from Andrew Schloss's "
Cooking Slow: Recipes for Slowing Down and Cooking More"
(Chronicle, 2013).

Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick.