In these days of quarantine we are not eating out at all. We just got a grocery
order this morning. When I was shopping online for it I discovered sea scallops
for $16 per pound. Sea scallops are much larger (and more expensive) than bay
scallops, which we can get for $6 or $7. Well, this appealed to my heart,
having grown up in Delaware, where fresh seafood was plentiful. I ordered one
pound, thinking  that if we ate them out we would pay much more than   that for
dinner for two. In case any of you like sea scallops, here is how I plan to
cook them. I will serve with steamed asparagus and either $rice or pasta for
the leftover garlic sauce.  And of course, some white wine.

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 pound sea scallops
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

For the lemon butter sauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2cloves garlic, minced
juice of 1 lemon
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)

Make the lemon butter sauce first.
 melt 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet. Add garlic and cook, stirring
frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice; season with
salt and pepper, to taste.

Rinse scallops with cold water and thoroughly pat dry. Season scallops with
salt and pepper, to taste.  Melt 1 tablespoon butter over  high heat; if
possible, use a skillet large enough for the scallops to  cook in one layer. .
Otherwise, you will need to  Work in batches. Add scallops to the skillet in a
single layer and cook, turning once, until golden brown and translucent in the
center, no more than two minutes per side. Serve scallops immediately with
lemon butter sauce, garnished with parsley, if desired.

Notes
You can make the garlic lemon butter earlier in the day; you can make extra and
freeze it for other uses.

Have everything you wish to serve with the scallops ready before you cook the
scallops; you do not want them to get cold.

Scallops are wonderful,  but you do not want to overcook them or they will be
tough.

I like the parsley garnish, but my otherwise very accommodating husband
dislikes parsley so I leave it out.., which we can get for about $7 per pound