Slow Cooker Carnitas

Hello there, Slow Cookerers!!

April is almost over.

I'm pretty sure there were 128, 543 days in April.

But on Friday, it is finally May!

I want to share my award-winning Carnitas recipe with you today. And I'm not
kidding that it's award-winning.

Paul, a firefighter somewhere in Tennessee wrote in that he won some sort of
crockpot cooking competition he was having with his buddies with this
particular recipe.

NICE!

I hope you enjoy it!

Slow Cooker Carnitas

serves 6

2 pounds pork shoulder

1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 large orange)

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 large lime)

7 cloves garlic (whole intact)

1/2 tablespoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon cumin

1/2 cup beef broth

corn tortillas

sour cream, salsa, sliced avocado (optional)

The Directions.

Use a 6 quart slow cooker.

In a small bowl, combine the salt and cumin.

Rub mixture all over the pork, then plop into the slow cooker.

Add whole garlic cloves. Squeeze on the citrus, and pour the beef broth evenly
over the top.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the pork shreds quite easily with a fork.

If your meat is still fully intact after 8 hours, remove and cut into chunks,
then return to the crock and flip to high for about an hour or two.

Shred meat fully and serve on warmed corn tortillas with desired toppings.

The Verdict.

This is so totally good.

You'll love the citrusy flavor of the meat, and the slight smokiness from the
cumin.

If you don't eat pork, try using an inexpensive beef chuck roast instead of the
pork shoulder. Also, you really could achieve the same thing with chicken
thighs, if you would prefer.

2 pounds of the chicken isn't going to be enough in a 6-quart, though -- I'd up
it to 3 to 4 pounds. No need to increase the other quantities of ingredients,
though, since chicken doesn't give off as much liquid as it cooks as pork does.

I hope this helps  a bit!

Happy Slow Cooking!!

steph

"If we could look into each other's hearts and understand the unique challenges
each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more
love, patience, tolerance, and care."

🙏 I appreciate your friendship/support at:

-Sugar 😘