From: Cookinginthedark On Behalf Of Deborah Armstrong via Cookinginthedark
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 11:48 AM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: Deborah Armstrong <armstrongdebo...@fhda.edu>
Subject: Re: [CnD] Baking bread by hand

I agree that baking by hand is very good for the self-confidence. It's why
my Grandma taught me to do it at 7. I needed an adult to put the loaves in
the oven for me when I was little but I timed them myself, and of course I
did all the kneading and rising myself.

But I work full-time at home now and a bread machine satisfys my need for
homemade bread with minimal hassle. We dug ours out after it became hard to
get bread in the store.

My dad, who was a baker by profession teased me mercilessly about using that
machine. He never understood why someone who already knew how to do it by
hand and from scratch would want to use a machine.

If you don't have a full-time commitment, baking bread is truly an awesome
way to spend your time!

I will however advise you to not get discouraged and read as much about the
process as you can. It's a nack that takes time to develop. Your first
loaves won't be that great.

 And there are lots of old wives tales you can ignore, such as needing to
scald milk or proof yeast in water first -- unless you use unpasteurized
milk or old yeast of course.

--Debee