From: Cookinginthedark <cookinginthedark-boun...@acbradio.org> On Behalf Of
meward1954--- via Cookinginthedark
Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2020 10:58 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: meward1...@gmail.com
Subject: [CnD] Breaking an egg

Using a mug is a good idea.  That way, you have an edge that is sharp enough to
break the shell which is right next to the place you want the egg to go.

Hold the egg in your palm with the top of your hand facing up and your thumb on
the bottom of the egg facing but not touching your index and/or pointer finger.
 Leave some space between your thumb tip and fingertips, and this is where the
egg will hit the side of the mug.  In other words, you will strike the bottom
of the egg on the cup with your hand above the egg and your thumb and fingers
supporting it from the bottom.  You will not be squeezing the egg, just holding
it in place and giving it a good whack.  Your nondominant hand will guide you,
locating the mug, making sure that the egg strikes the rim, helping you get the
egg into the mug, etc.

Now let's do it.  To break the shell, strike the bottom of the egg that is
between your thumb tip and fingertips on the rim of the mug.  Then, make sure
that the broken part of the egg is above the inside of the mug.  Now pull the
two broken halves of the egg shell apart from the bottom.  You can do this with
one hand or both,.  You should be able to put the two pieces of the shell one
inside the other with the bowl-shaped part facing down so that no egg gets all
over the place on the way to the garbage.  Keep your hand underneath it just in
case.  Also, at first, after you have broken the egg, you might very gently
look in the bowl and make sure that there are no pieces of egg shell in the
egg.  Nobody wants to eat them, but no matter how many eggs you have cracked in
a lifetime, you will sometimes get a little piece of shell in the egg.

I know you can do this.  Maybe practice with boiled eggs.  You might be able to
figure out where the problem is if you do that, even though they definitely
feel different when you crack them.  But I would be afraid that using a knife
would make a mess.  It is important to remember that you will not be squeezing
the egg.  It sounds like that could have ben the problem.

I hope this helps.  I spent some time trying to figure out exactly how I break
an egg before writing this.