I cooked a leg of lamb in the crockpot today. It was one I saw in the
grocery store and couldn't resist. I began by thawing it in the microwave.
It was boned, which solves one big problem right away, and filleted where
the bone was taken out. All of the outside fat was around the good meat, and
the skin was on the outside just like the leg would have been if there were
a bone inside. I applied seasonings to the outside, my first error. I should
have just opened it up and put the seasonings in the center and pressed them
into the meat. I wanted to roast it, but I don't much like roasted potatoes,
so I put 16 ounces of water in the crock, then put in the potatoes. I wanted
5 evenly matched potatoes so used the talking kitchen scale that Blind Mice
Mart sells. I put it on grams and began weighing potatoes from my bag. I
found five in a 15 gram range, between 190 grams and 205 grams. I washed
them and put them in the crock and the water I had put in first rose to just
below the top of the potatoes. The potatoes were shaped just right to fill
the space. Now I had a bed for the leg of lamb. Its weight after thawing was
2 pounds 8 ounces, or 2 and a half pounds. I removed it from its packaging
onto a plate. I mixed the seasonings together and pressed them all over the
leg. As I said, it would have worked better to press them to the inside of
the leg. At this point I maybe should have trimmed some of the fat off but
didn't realize how much was there. I don't know how easy this would have
been with the meat raw. Maybe not so easy.
I laid the leg in the crock just above the water line, turned it on high for
an hour, then to low for the cooking for the next few hours. I turned off
the pot and took the temperature of the meat. It wasn't quite done, so I
flipped it over so the other side would get the benefit of the steam, and
let it cook on low for two more hours. I turned off the pot and let it sit
with the lid off for 20 minutes, then took everything out. The meat was
wonderful, but it took some time to get all the fat off. There was half a
pound of fat and skin. I ate what I wanted and put the rest in the
refrigerator to use in at least two more meals, maybe 3. I stored the
potatoes in the refrigerator as well, and found room for the crock with its
lid on so tomorrow I can remove the fat that settled into the pot as the
meat cooked. I don't know if the broth will be something I will want to use
or if it will get tossed as well. At any rate it won't end up down my sink
to clog the drain pipes. I am sure there will be other lamb roasts in my
future, be it leg, shoulder, or whatever. Maybe next time I will season it
and cook it in a cooking bag without adding water except for that which
stays on the meat when I rinse it so the seasonings stick to the surface. If
I want vegetables I can cook them separately or in a different way.

Pamela Fairchild
<pamelafairch...@comcast.net>