Given the flocking to this bandwagon (UK too -vis Online harms) .

The sad answer to your ? is -- yes. it is necessary to put the record
straight that boiling oceans of private communications to select
for implied intentions completely out of context or reasonable grounds is a
public
evil which won't help prevent the potential for another (unrelated) public
evil.

There should always be reasonable grounds and specificity in conducting
investigations which means "fishing expeditions" should always be called
out.

It also is not a convenient or cheap solution that the thin end of the
wedge presented by the big data salesmen proposing such schemes as easy
fixes are claiming.

--
christian de larrinaga
https://firsthand.net