Thanks William Scott,

defaults write org.x.X11 wm_ffm -bool true

Worked very well. I of course had to restart X to get it to get X to update
this parameter.
I now had mouse focus back in Leoaprd 10.5.2 with the graphics update (
Xquartz 2.1.4)

Maybe I should put this into the wiki/FAQ.

I was just noticing that the rotamer analysis still flags a lot of the
rotamers as being bad. I didnt realize I was using version 0.2 on our old
lab machine. I did read that after 0.4 , coot switched to using David
Richardsons library. Is it possible to use the old library. Are the large
number of flagged rotamers still a known issue?

Thanks for your help and sorry to add to this thread with a unrelated
question
Hari Jayaram
Brandeis University