Hey, you can always go to the coffee shop, surf the web and impress all the other life-stylers out there with your slick machine, even though you might have to buy a MacBook Air to keep with the times.

I have problems similar to what Bill described when I run coot (0.4.1 with OSX v5.2 and X 2.1.1). The computer never freezes entirely (knock on wood), but coot is completely useless. Good think my Fedora Thinkpad has forgiven me my betrayal. It is, in fact, quite happy mercilessly spanking this shiny lifestyle machine of mine.

What I'm most annoyed about with all this X11 business is that there are many places to get fixes from but no one has a solution. It's not unlike trying to get a FireGL to run properly under linux, but not exactly what you expect from a company that can't stop professing its godlike superiority.

Let's see if 2.1.4 changes things for me in any way. If not, there's always my beloved ThinkPad.

Andreas

hari jayaram wrote:
We just got our brand new leopard running mac pro , we have been having frequent crashes and freeze ups as well

Leopard version : 10.5.2
X version: 2.1.4
Coot version:0.5.1
Intel Mac Pro

Most downright crashes where I had to resort to the power button came when i was runing coot. When running ccp4i , it seems understandably less taxing on X. But even with that I always have the gui windows bleed through into other windows. Not to mention the fact that spaces is entirely unuseable. To think that linux has had outstanding "spaces" like multiple desktop functionality for years..

Just my rant against leopard and X and I agree with Bills sentiment..makes me want to go back to gentoo-linux....but then we just spent almost 3K on this machine and I am sure hoping these problems will soon disappear

A willing guinea pig
Hari Jayaram