OK, I found the problem:

% grep "#\!" scheme/*.scm
scheme/coot-gui.scm:#!/home/paule/build/bin/guile -s
scheme/tips-gui.scm:#!/home/paule/build/bin/guile -s

This can be fixed by removing those lines from the two scheme files.

In addition, the last two lines of the tips-gui.scm file need to be uncommented in order to actually get the annoying tips pop-up to appear.

I have no idea why it failed silently for me but created problems for others (and there was at least one other that I now think was the same problem).