On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:55:17 -0700 Scott Classen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Desktop effects are NOT turned on.
> ccp4i 6.0.2 works fine.
>
> I just tried the latest nightly and that didn't work either
>
> coot-0.5.1-pre-1-revision-1502-binary-Linux-i386-fedora-8-python-gtk2.tar.gz
>
> I have a hunch this has something to do with my graphics card. I have
> an NVIDIA card (GeForce FX 5200) I've installed the nvidia linux
> drivers NVIDIA Driver Version 169.12

Most likely its a xorg thing - can you post your xorg.conf?  Did you
check the xorg log for errors?  Did you use the nvidia installer
script, or a pre-built binary for your distribution? I do recall there
being problems with nvidia's driver and the composite extension that
would cause this sort of thing (since GLX gets disabled if there is a
conflict), you may want to check that the following is in your
xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "Disabled"
EndSection