Eleanor Dodson wrote:
Paul Emsley wrote:
James Whittle wrote:
Hi-

I'm trying for the first time to work with a structure in spacegroup H32. Coot reads the CRYST card, but when I build a helix, or look at a H32 PDB entry, the symmetry mates appear squished. I know there is some discussion about handling this spacegroup: do I need to change the CRYST line to get the structure to display correctly?

<chuckle> what timing :-)

OK, so the answer is that Coot does not support such a spacegroup symbol. You need to specify it as "R 3 2 :H".

Paul

Paul - you have to fix this - until such time as PDB depositions return such a symbol. At the moment they have H32

Actually, at the moment they have "H 3 2".

For example, I tried 1B41 and that displays symmetry just fine, as Kevin suggests. James, name an accession code that appears to have squished symmetry (you are using the latest stable version, I take it).

Fitting a helix is a different story though, I get a pdb file with a rhombohedral spacegroup but hexagonal cell (which makes a mess of the symmetry related coordinates of course). Both cell and spacegroup for a "Fit Helix" molecule should be picked up from the map/MTZ file - so I don't know what is going on there.