junfeng liu wrote:
Dear All,
I am overlaying several structures using coot. There are two ways SSM or LSQ can be used in that package. But I got clearly different result form the two methods. In my opinion SSM only works on the secondary structures and LSQ can works on the whole atoms ,main chain or CA. So the question is which one is better to overlay structures, LSQ or SSM ?

Dear Liu,

Depends on what you are trying to do. If you are trying to overlay proteins that are homologous but have low sequence identity, then finding which atoms/residues match with which can be pretty difficult - hence you would use SSM. If, however, your protein chains are similar (for example, because they are NCS-related perhaps) then LSQ over a particular residue range is probably a better option.