Cathy Lawson wrote:
Thanks Paul.

I thought it would be something like that.   Now I've tested again,
I see that torsion general works fine for side chain bonds, but it doesn't seem to work for main-chain, does this sound right?

It works for only a single residue/monomer.

In some earlier vintage crystallography graphics programs it was possible to "tor" main chain bonds and make a large
chunk of structure twirl around on the screen along with the rotating
bond

Frank von Delft asked for this too. I would guess that he uses the same "vintage crystallography graphics programs" as you do/did. :-). I'll make a note.

Thanks,