Ed Pozharski wrote:
After recent upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04, coot binaries that worked fine
before started reporting the "ELFCLASS64" error when loading a
particular library, namely /usr/lib/libguile-srfi-srfi-1-v-3.so.3.
I understand that the real root of this problem is my bizarre obsession
with installing 64-bit Linux and then being too lazy to compile coot
from source and instead trying to use 32-bit coot binaries.  To resolve
the ELFCLASS64 issue, I downloaded guile1.8 32-bit debian package from
ubuntu repositories and placed libraries into /usr/lib32.  That, of
course, didn't help and I had to redirect the symbolic link in /usr/lib
to /usr/lib32.  Now coot runs fine, but this is an ugly fix, not to
mention that it may cost me down the road when some 64-bit application
discovers that I substituted the library.  At the same time, I see that
$COOT_PREFIX/lib contains all the libraries, and so my question is why
coot tries to load libraries from /usr/lib?  Should I uninstall guile
via synaptic (I am not sure why I installed it in the first place)?

Very curious. AFAIU the libguile-srfi-srfi are loaded at runtime (probably for some string function). I would have thought that they should load from the installation directory (rather than the system one). How curious. (And, yes, it is ugly.)

Well, I'll be over your way in a couple of weeks, if we don't get it sorted out now, we should try to find some time then.