Hi Stephen

On the money - thanks!

Running GNOME as the desktop environment, doing exactly as you suggest fixes the problem. GNOME was having other stability issues also, which caused some student frustration.

Alternatively, using Xfce as the desktop environment worked right off the bat.

I also tried KDE, and if anything it was worse than GNOME, plus I couldn't find where to disable Compiz.

Hope this helps anyone else who may have struggled with this issue.

cheers

Shaun

--
Dr J. Shaun Lott
AgResearch Senior Lecturer in Structural Biology

t   : +64 9 3737599 x87074
f   : +64 9 3737416
http://shaunlott.blogspot.com