Yo people:

Following Warren DeLano's recommendations at pymol.org/zalman, I got a Zalman monitor for about $US 300, which, in California dollars, is about a week's worth of groceries at our local rat-infested Safeway.

The latest PyMOL and Coot both work great in stereo. I would go so far as to say these look as good as they did on my ca. $12K (1999 dollars) SGI R10000s with Sony trinatron monitors, which I finally got rid of earlier this year. Also, the quality of the migraine these induce seems to be a bit more tolerable.

I found it worked fine with a Mac mini (the one my kids have connected to a TV to watch old Flintstones episodes), and also my wife's first generation iBook, the latter of which has no separate graphics card. So if you set it up with a mini, you can have a dedicated stereographics workstation with a reasonable quality monitor for under $1K (or just have a monitor and have your users bring their own laptop and a DVI connector.

It comes with DVI and VGA cables, and 1 pair of normal and one pair of clip-on circularly polarized glasses, and enough styrofoam packing to get rid of the last remaining wisps of an evanescent ozone layer.

Thanks to Paul (and Warren) for implementing this.

Bill

William G. Scott

contact info:  http://chemistry.ucsc.edu/~wgscott