Dear  Andrew,

    Since I don't have the time to learn python fully  and because there is
not too many of examples of python scripting  available for Coot, thus I
use my expertise of VB to help me write the correct  syntax for python script.
then paste it into notepad and run it as a python  script from Coot's GUI.

    For example I will paste an amino acid sequence of  homologous proteins
from ClustalW into an excel spreadsheet, then using VB to  write a program
that will put each amino acid into it's own spreadsheet cell as  separate
objects with some fancy colors ( as color codes) to make it  pretty. Now, I
can do all sorts of analyses of these sequences, like find the  ones that are
non-homologous between two proteins, put them in a table, let  VB write the
python syntax for "goto" and "mutate_autofit " of all these  specific amino
acids, paste it into notepad and "wala !" i have automation.  That is ,I
can goto  (thus observe visually the mutational changes for  oddballs) and
mutate_autofit about 300 amino acids in about 10 min, rather  than spending
hours doing it manually.

                                               Wes

In a message dated 1/19/2010 10:56:53 A.M. Central Standard Time,