I think a preference setting that specifies if you do or do not add
"-coot-#" to the file name is the best solution. Or even better - let
user define the format
(with "original_name-coot-%d.pdb" % next_version as default).

Theoretically coot now does it in the safest way, as you are not at risk
of overwriting something without being explicitly warned.  I too hate
when folder listings become unmanageable because of all the crumbs -
maybe there could be a "cleanup" option of deleting everything but the
latest copies of everything.

Cheers,

Ed.

--