Hi Eleanor,

thanks for the response.  I have sent a series of working and nonworking mtz
files to Paul so hopefully he can straighten it out.

the flag type for the dano column is correct and even though that error message
from the terminal window complains about it, this does not appear to be the
problem because the same error message pops up with the mtz file that works???

As for using phwt vs phic/fom - I used to look at anom maps created with both
sets of phases but never noticed much of a difference so got lazy and just
started going with phwt (it is one less click of the mouse afterall:-).  But
this is not the problem either because coot is able to produce anomalous maps
using the dano/phwt combination in most cases.

That being said, however, I went back to the problematic mtz and added phic/fom
and now coot is able to create an anomalous map with phic/fom but still not
with phwt.  An fft anomalous map created with either phase set is still able to
be read just fine into coot though.

And here is some more information on the issue - this problem is now seen on
two machines (1 running Mandriva 2009.1 and the other Mandriva 2010.0) and two
coot versions (Coot 0.6.1 2740 and Coot 0.6.2-pre-1 3144 - both are the
coot-Linux-i686-ubuntu-8.04.4-gtk2-python builds). With the new version, we get
a new error message when trying to read in one of the "bad" DANO mtz files:

  Error in proc: wrong-type-arg  args:
  (#f Wrong type (expecting ~A):
  ~S (real number #<primitive-procedure nan>) (#<primitive-procedure nan>)))

thanks again,
Eric