Bernhard,

I think for the loop that is about to close taking the average from
flanking residues is good enough.  Not sure what you mean by the second
example ("last residue has a low B").

I think what causes problems in refmac is a sharp discontinuity, as it
contributes greatly to the B-factor restraints.  Refinement will adjust
B-factors properly if they are higher/lower, but not if they jump from
90 to 20 from residue to residue.

The way I adjust B manually is by looking at the B-factor of the next
residue, which is not too sophisticated approach and should be easy to
implement.  Well, in the end it's a minor problem, and easy to fix
manually.

Cheers,

Ed.

--