This is because coot uses guile-gui, which along with guile-gtk is
deprecated, no longer has a home and cannot be included/supported with
fedora releases.  So extensions which depend on it (like add strand) will
fail, while those that don't (like add helix) run OK.

I'm hoping that eventually these extensions will be updated to use
guile-gnome (Paul?).

If these functions are important to you, you'll have to use one of Paul's
binaries or build it yourself.

HTH,
Tim