Thanks Bernhard..

I replaced the refmac.scm from r4648 to the one from my running coot
installation and it did the trick.Refmac now updates the active map for
refinement to the one it calculates.

I did:
cp /home/hari/coot-read-only//scheme/refmac.scm
/home/hari/autobuild/coot-Linux-x86_64-ubuntu-10.04.4-gtk2-python/share/coot/scheme/refmac.scm

On a related note..I do have the following setting
(set-keep-map-colour-after-refmac 1) in my .coot file , but it does not
seem to be getting picked up and the refmac produced map color does change
after the run and the . I am running coot version

0.7.1-pre (revision 4549)  [with guile 1.8.8 embedded] [with python 2.7.0
embedded]

My setting /home/hari/.coot reads..

(set-keep-map-colour-after-refmac 1)

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong.