On 06/26/2013 01:29 PM, Oliver Clarke wrote:
Hi all,

This is perhaps more of a wish list request… I often use coot to make density
figures for presentations of a structure still in progress, but it is difficult
to convey the shape or quality of density from a 2D snapshot.

A feature that perhaps might be helpful in this regard would be to add an option, in
addition to taking a simple screenshot, to take an "animated screenshot".

I would envision the user being able to select the rotation axis (x, y or z),
and coot stitching together a few screenshots to create an animation of rocking
about said axis, perhaps 10 or 20 degrees either side.

This is indeed what I did for some of the videos on google +.

(set-make-movie-mode 1)

It makes ppms not gifs. I used ffmpeg to make a .avi - I suppose that you can also make an animated gif (not tried it).

I realize this is a feature that will probably be near the bottom of the list
in terms of desired features, but I believe it would be helpful for conveying
density quality and the fit of the structure to the density to those not
actively involved in the model building process.

:-) and I agree.