In addition to using STEREO mode "10", try adding this section to xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Full xorg.conf file included at the bottom of this post.

On 09/02/13 11:52, Arnaud Basle wrote:
Dear Coot and Pymol users,

I have the same problem with both softwares so I thought I would send a joined message.

We recently acquired a quadro 4000 with a 3-pin connector and the NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 kit (suppose to be supported by NVIDIA on linux for openGL applications http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_pro_graphics_boards_linux.html)

I have inserted /etc/X11/xorg.conf in device section the following: option "stereo" "3" following instructions here (http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/310.40/README/xconfigoptions.html)

I am using Mint 13 (based on ubuntu) and the NVIDIA drivers are 319.32.

When stating pymol using the following: pymol -S -t 1, I get the following error message: "Error: The requested stereo 3D visualization mode is not available."

Coot give me the following error when switching to hardware stereo: "WARNING:: Can't enable stereo visual - falling back"

so I guess I did not installed properly my drivers but I am stuck in what to try next. Any help from those of you who managed to get hardware stereo to work would be greatly appreciated (I am even willing to try a different linux flavour if need be).

I would like to add that the hardware works fine (at least the NVIDIA demo stuff) on windows 7 but even under windows i could not get pymol/coot to work. Both switch to stereo hardware and the display get blurry but the shutter glasses do not work...

Cheers,
Arnaud

------------  a working xorg.conf from Scientific Linux 6.x :

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"