Hi Tim,

thanks for the help.
i think coot only does it when the last ligand of the last chain is the same
type as the one you are merging.
i'm just updated to 4834 and i'm running it on centos 6.4 64.
I downloaded 4EWZ (random pick from PDB), added a single CL1 molecule and coot
adds it with a new chain ID. however when i add a second CL1 molecule (i
renumbered it to 12 before merging) coot adds it to the new chain with residue
number 2. if i than add CLA, which is the same ligand with a different name,
coot creates a new chain ID for it.
overall, its a nice feature to have but i would like to disable it from time to
time.

Best,

Yuval.

Yuval Mazor
Dept. of Molecular Microbiology & Biotechnology,
Green Building, Room 111.
Tel Aviv University,
Ramat Aviv 69978, Israel.
Phone: 972-3-640-7507