I have been using the Phenix-linked Coot to modify a MR solution calculated
from a rather poor data set, with high merging Rs and very low absolute
intensities.  I have observed what I consider bizarre behavior in the real
space refinement function.  My original observation was that very often RSR
would actually make the model look less like the density.  I generally use the
default matrix weight (60) or reduce it to 20.  When I let coot estimate the
weight it came up with 65446.  With that value the RSR seems to behave
normally. How is this weight calculated?  What kind of data pathology would
produce the results I am seeing?   Is it related to the low intensity values in
the data?