On 02/05/2022 20:19, Dale Tronrud wrote:

     When I watch people model building I see many scrolling the contour level up and down without regard for the numeric value of the level, apparently just choosing a value that makes the peaks appear the way they prefer the peaks to appear.

I recall a few years ago that Alex McPherson asked me how I chose the contour level and I said more or less this. He didn't like my answer :-).

This way of choosing a contour level seems dangerous to me as it seems to bias the appearance of the map towards the modeler's expectation.

I don't choose one level and don't recommend that others do so - the continuous re-contouring allow one to get a feel for where the signal descends into noise - so I am scrolling very frequently when deciding where a side-chain should go. I hum the Rawhide theme tune as I do so.