From: Paul Emsley <pems...@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Saturday, 14 October 2023 at 17:51
To: Neil Rzechorzek <neil.rzechor...@crick.ac.uk>, "COOT@JISCMAIL.AC.UK"
<COOT@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: Coot/mmdb2 issues with NCS and links in mmCIFs

External Sender: Use caution.

On 13/10/2023 13:12, Neil Rzechorzek wrote:
Dear colleagues,

Hi Neil,

I have been iteratively rebuilding and refining a crystal structure using coot
(v. 0.9.8.91) and Phenix.

Refinement makes use of NCS restraints, and the structure additionally has some
covalent links between protein sidechains and bound ligands.
OK, sounds interesting.

NCS parameters and links are output by Phenix in both PDB and mmCIF file
formats.

Coot happily opens the PDB file, and the covalent links are displayed as the
usual dotted lines.

However, coot fails to open the mmCIF file.  According to an old ccp4bb post
(https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa-jisc.exe?A2=ind1910&L=CCP4BB&D=0&P=73942),
 this appears to be an mmdb2 library issue that I gather has not been resolved.

That's right. But there's more. I've been working on a new version of Coot and
that reads 6ttq (for example) just fine.
  In particular, the _struct_ncs_oper category in the mmCIF is the culprit and
- as the previous poster noted - removing this whole section from the file
enables coot to open it.  I gather this is akin to deleting the MTRIX section
in a PDB file, though am not sure whether this is either permitted or advisable
for a deposited structure.

Indeed.

Additionally, coot doesn’t show the sidechain-ligand links in this modified
mmCIF file.  The correct _struct_conn.id loops are present – is there a switch
somewhere that encourages coot to show them?
There is no user-control over this.

  I’ve checked other deposited mmCIF files with such links, and they too suffer
from the same problem.

Do you have a particular code in mind?

As I’m now depositing the structure at the PDB, I’m trying to resolve these
issues prior to accepting the final annotated version.  While end users will
always be able to open the PDB file in coot, mmCIF seems to be the preferred
file type for many.
This will increasingly become the case.

Apologies if I’ve missed other posts/solutions to these issues, or have
misunderstood something – I did search, but could not find answers.  Any
suggestions would be extremely welcome!
The ball is in my court. The version of Coot that I am using (from the main
branch of the Coot repo) doesn't have these problems, AFAICS. I need to get it
in shape for release.

Since mmdb2 is managed by the CCP4 team, I will likely post this to ccp4bb also.

They will say "if mmdb2 is the problem then GEMMI is the solution" - or some
such.

Paul.

The Francis Crick Institute Limited is a registered charity in England and
Wales no. 1140062 and a company registered in England and Wales no. 06885462,
with its registered office at 1 Midland Road London NW1 1AT