On 7/1/24 12:24, Noha Elhosseiny wrote:
Thanks Paul,

I replied below in a different color

On Mon, Jul 1, 2024 at 2:17 PM Paul Emsley <pems...@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

    On 01/07/2024 11:59, Noha Elhosseiny wrote:

    > --
    >

    > I am new to coot and structural analysis in general. I am trying
    to do
    > model building for a symmetric protein consisting of 15 identical
    > chains, using the density map from cryoEM analysis. I made an
    initial
    > model by first fitting one chain (chain A- roughly) in Chimera,
    copied
    > this chain to make the 15-mer, and then moved to coot for
    refinement
    > and improving the fitting. I noticed that there is a slight
    shift from
    > the best fit of the chain I fitted and then copied (chain A) in the
    > other chains in the density map. To cut it short chain A is
    perfect,
    > but chains B-O gradually shift very slightly from the ideal fit,
    > probably as a result of the copying process. Now I am not sure
    what to
    > do. I can try to work on each chain individually to fall into the
    > density like I did with chain A, but it seems counterintuitive
    to do
    > this 14 times when I already have a perfect chain.... I considered
    > doing LSQ superpose of chain A on each of the other chains, but
    given
    > they are already shifted...I think this will not solve the
    problem. I
    > also think I can try to do "refine chain" or "jiggle fit", but I
    think
    > this will make it worse not better as the chains are very slightly
    > shifted.....
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to proceed?

    Presumably you have the transposition matrices from your cryo-EM
    processing. I imagine that it might even be proper symmetry. You
    can use
    that. What molecular symmetry do you have?

I suppose I have...but I do not know how to get these matrices or where to look for them....I am using CryoSPARC. I can look into where to get them. I have a C15 symmetry and I am 90% sure it is correct as the protein is not new but the species is and there are sequence differences.....

One generally modifies only one copy. When refining, one might make a molecule of 5 chains (to model the interaction between chains) and then modify only the middle (C) chain.

You only need do the full symmetry expansion for deposition and making figures.

Attached is a script to do what you want (as far as I can tell) - you will need to change the imol file and the centre to be appropriate for your molecule.

import math

imol = read_pdb('my-chain.pdb')
# the should be the centre of your map, we presume that the centre of
# the map is the centre of the (model) molecule:
centre = [467.04/2, 467.04/2, 467.04/2]

n_copies = 15

imol_copies = []
for c in range(1, n_copies):
    theta = c * 2.0 * math.pi / n_copies
    ct = math.cos(theta)
    st = math.sin(theta)
    imol_copy = copy_molecule(imol)
    imol_copies.append(imol_copy)
    translate_molecule_by(imol_copy, -centre[0], -centre[1], 0)
    transform_molecule_by(imol_copy, ct, -st, 0, st, ct, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0)
    translate_molecule_by(imol_copy,  centre[0],  centre[1], 0)

merge_molecules(imol_copies, imol)
write_pdb_file(imol, "molecule-with-all-the-symm.pdb")