On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 at 18:13, Pavel Raiskup <prais...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Thanks for questions!
>
> On Friday, November 13, 2020 5:50:46 PM CET Iñaki Ucar wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 at 17:26, Pavel Raiskup <prais...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > On Nov 13 2020, a new Copr release landed production.  The list of user
> > > visible
> > > changes is in the release notes document:
> > >
> > > https://docs.pagure.org/copr.copr/release-notes/2020-11-13.html
> >
> > Many thanks for the build batches feature! I have some questions about
> > this. Building on the example in the release notes,
> >
> > - If a fourth build 101040 depends on 101020 and a fifth one 101050
> > depends on 101030, when do these ones start? As soon as each build,
> > individually, finish? Or when the whole batch, 101020 and 101030,
> > finishes?
>
> *20 and *30 re in one batch -- so both *40 and *50 are started at the same
> time after the that batch finishes.
>
> Both *40 and *50 are put into a separate batch, but that is just a detail
> in this case.
>
> The currently processed batch dependency tree can be observed at:
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/status/batches/

Nice. :)

> > - Then, what happens if 101030 fails?
>
> The batch is finished as soon as all the builds inside are finished.  No
> matter if they failed or succeeded...  so the other two batches will start
> building.
>
> I know it is not ideal.  In the future we could implement something more
> clever like "give the maintainer a chance to fix the build, before we
> continue...".  But it would be way too complicated contribution at the
> start (even the actual was).  Please fill the RFE if you see a space for
> enhancement.

I think a flag to automatically cancel dependent builds if something
fails in a batch wouldn't be too complicated to implement. Will fill
an RFE.

> > - Can a build depend on more than one build ID?
>
> You should rather think about "batches" in this case, and each batch can
> only depend on one batch.
>
> Corner cases aside => --after-build-id creates a new batch, --with-build-id
> puts
> the build into an existing batch.

And we can use any build ID in a batch with those flags, right? I.e.,
we don't need to keep track of the first one in the batch.

> > - Are these flags (after-build, with-build) available for other build
> > commands (e.g. buildscm)?
>
> I believe they are.

Nice, thanks!

--