2009/3/13 Dalibor Topic <dalibor.to...@sun.com>:
> David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> On 03/12/2009 05:41 PM, Mark Reinhold wrote:
>>> You might want to have a look at the new contribution process [1].
>>> Using that will increase the probability that someone will evaluate
>>> your patch sooner rather than later.
>>>
>>> - Mark
>>>
>>> [1] http://openjdk.java.net/contribute
>>
>> Consider my post to be step 2 of that process.  The patch itself is
>> probably the most succinct way of expressing the proposed change (it
>> only took a minute or two to write in any case).
>
> That's understandable, but it's a lot easier to find interesting patches
> to review in a bug tracker, then to search for them among mailing list
> threads.
>
> In other words, if you, say, look at this thread so far in your mail reader,
> you'd have a hard time figuring out whether someone has reviewed your change
> or not, without spending the time reading the thread. Since more people end
> up reading each e-mail then people end up writing each e-mail, it's useful
> to optimize processes towards avoiding having to read a lot of e-mail in
> order to figure out simple things.
>
> So, please do add your patch to the bug tracker so that it doesn't get lost,
> and so that others don't have to spend time reading threads full of polite
> requests to please add your patch to the bug tracker. ;)

+1 :)

And we probably also need to cajole people into adding comments on
patches already posted...

>> Anyone have comments on the change?
>
> It seems that the change would break serialization, by changing the type
> of a serialized field (in both classes) away from a primitive one. See
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/platform/serialization/spec/version.html
> for details.

Except that both fields are static, and static fields aren't
serialised by default.
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/platform/serialization/spec/serial-arch.html#6250

--
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8