On 11/09/2010 03:13 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
> The web-discuss mailing list is the place for infrastructure discussion.
> As it happens, someone started a discussion about this issue just a few
> days ago:
>
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/web-discuss/2010-November/000139.html

   Since this is an issue that affects every single OpenJDK contributor,
that may or may not be subscribed to every list, (I doubt most of us
are,) it is critical that information about accessing the central
repository (which is now effectively broken to anyone that uses current
versions of Mercurial, especially because the Forest extension is no
longer maintained) is pushed to contributors, and the solutions to that
problem get actively published to every list, and are published to the
official pages that explain how to check out and update OpenJDK as soon
as possible, which they haven't been.  (This is critical for an
open-source project.)

   Is there a contact at Oracle that is responsible for making the
OpenJDK open and accessible?  Who is the maintainer of the pages that
discuss how to check out and update OpenJDK?  Those pages are obsolete
and broken.  Mercurial's forest extension is apparently obsolete and
officially unmaintained.  What is the strategy to move OpenJDK forward?

   I'm not subscribed to the web-discuss list, and its archive pages are
marked as "nofollow" for web robots, so nobody will find it with a web
search.  You are asking that web robots do not follow links to any
messages in the archive.  I searched but couldn't find it for this
reason.  The thread posted above is not a solution; the only reply is a
dreadful hardcoded large program that kludges around the real problem
and will break again in the future if any subdirectory is added.  It
does not fix the problem that the official instructions to check out and
update OpenJDK sources no longer work, and that the official way to
check out (the unsupported Forest extension) is no longer usable.

   This is a major issue that must be addressed on all lists.  I hope
that paid Oracle employees will communicate the necessary fix to all
contributors on all lists, who try to contribute value to their products
for free.  Please forward this to the web-discuss list.

--
  Alan Eliasen
  elia...@mindspring.com