Steve, Neil,

As we discussed in previous emails that Neil's last patch (to put the inflater into the "streams" as the value of the map) does solve the FinalizeInflater failure issue (provides a "orderly" final cleanup between the "stream" and the "inflater". However to leave releaseInfalter() to be solely driven by GC might delay the inflater to be cached/re-used in a timely manner, even in scenario that those streams get closed explicitly by the invoker. Ideally it is desirable that the inflater can be
re-used/put back into the cache when ZFIIS.close() gets invoked explicitly.

It appears it might be too hard, if not impossible, to arrange the releaseInflater() to be invoked from both clearStaleStreams()/staleStreamQueue and ZFIIS.close(), given the non-guarantee, by the VM/GC, of the timing/order among the clear up of weak reference objects, enqueue them and the invocation of finalize(). So I would suggest a relatively simple solution as showed in webrev at

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sherman/7031076/webrev/src/share/classes/java/util/zip/ZipFile.java.sdiff.html

(1) simply use the WeakHashMap to keep the <InputStream, Inflater> pair, we don't try to release/put the used inflater back to cache, if the ZFIIS stream does not get closed explicitly (its underlying ZFIS stream and the inflater will then get finalized by themself).

(2) release the inflater back to cache in ZFIIS.close(), only if the inflater is sill "alive" in the "streams", which guarantees that the inflater is not being finalized and safe to put back to cache (so long as we have the weak reference -> inflater pair in "streams", it does not matter if the reference to ZFIIS object is cleared or not). In most cases, I would expect when the ZFIIS.close() is invoked, both ZFIIS object and its inflater are still reachable, so the inflater gets re-used as expected. In "weird" scenario like what we have in FinalizeInflater, the ZFIIS object and its outer wrapper object are being finalized when ZFIIS.close() gets invoked (from wrapper.finalize()), there is possibility that the inflater might not be put back to cache, if the weak reverence->inflater pair has been expunged out of the "streams" already (because the weak reference to ZFIIS might have been cleared, so its entry in "streams" can be expunged any time, by any thread. At this moment, the inflater object might be declared as "un-reachable" and no longer safe to put back into cache), but
     I think we can live with this "missing".

(3) I realized that we actually are not removing the closed ZFIIS objects (only the ZFIS objects are removed when closed) from "streams" even though those input streams are closed gracefully by the invoker (as preferred, suggested, desired), which means all those ZFIIS streams will stay in "streams" (strong referenced in current implementation), no matter whether or not they get closed explicitly, until the ZipFile object itself gets closed/finalized. This might contribute to the problem Neil observed at first place (the ZipFile InputStreams accumulat in heap), actually I do have another incident report #7033523 which I have
     closed as the dup of #7031076.

Opinion? anything I overlooked/missed?

-Sherman