Mike,

The history is in the evaluation of

I don't think that even adding a empty check can be considered an optimization
when dealing with two abstract things.  The iterator creation here is 'good
garbage' and worst case AbstractCollection.isEmpty could be O(N).
JDKs 5 and 6 shipped with two collections (CHM views) that had O(N) isEmpty
methods.

I think the following evaluations really cover the issues regarding this:

Jason