David Holmes wrote:
This a change to a bunch of serviceability tests (shell scripts that launch the various j* tools (jps, jstatd, jstack etc)) that I'd like to push through the TL JDK repo.

The changes were done by Carlos Lucasius but I'm acting as his "sponsor" for getting these pushed.

webrev:  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/7012206/webrev/

There has been some prior internal debate around how "best" to deal with this issue and the resulting changes, while somewhat repetitive, are the simplest approach to take.

There is one test - jps/jps-Vvml_2.sh - that can not pass with such a fix because it is actually trying to test the jps output when no arguments (VM or application) are passed to the target VM. So for that test I've just added a comment.
This one reminds me that we need to go over all our shell tests so that they pass $TESTVMOPTS through to all VMs that they create. Otherwise we aren't always testing what we think we are testing.

The changes in the webrev look fine to me but I would have expected to see tests other than the jvmstat stats, for example the tests in com/sun/tools/attach and sun/management/jmxremote/bootstrap.

-Alan.