I've modified the fix per feedback (thanks all). System.clearProperty now attempts to get the property with the specified key. If there is such a property, and the value is a String, remove the property and return the value removed, otherwise return null (if it is null) or throw CCE (if it's not null and is not a String...do not remove the property here). Webrev can be found here:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sherman/darryl/6578042/webrev

Darryl