I fail to come up with a (common) use case where this will be enabling
- I did read the example in the bug description but wasn't quite
convinced.

Having said that, a generalisation whereby Arrays.sort(a) or an
internal version of it returns a boolean indicating whether any
elements has been swapped, then based on that optionally carrying out
the set() operations might be an interesting optimisation which will
also cover this particular case of empty / singleton.

Alex.