On 13/03/2012 19:03, Xueming Shen wrote:

While this indeed is a "regression", the question is do we really want this behavior (allow those corrupt zip/png files without throwing exception) to
be the default behavior? A possible approach is to by default the
j.u.zip.Inflater/PNGImageReader rejects such files (by throwing a zip exception, as the current JDK7 does) and to tolerate such files only with some -D flag, for example -Djava.util.zip.InflateAllowInvalidDistance. This definitely will be inconvenient for those who like the PNGImageReader to just work as it did
in previous releases, but appears to be a more reasonable for me.

Opinion?
This is tough one, do you have any sense for how common this issue is? What are the downsides or risks to ignoring invalid distance values?

-Alan.