Hi Rob,

Adding new methods to Process definitely requires providing defaults. This aspect should be covered in CCC request.

David

On 12/04/2012 9:48 AM, Rob McKenna wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm hoping for some feedback on the above. Webrev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~robm/4244896/webrev.00/

This bug adds two abstract methods to Process.java with the intention of:

1) providing a facility to implement a destroyForcibly method. In
practical terms this means provide a method that will send a SIGKILL to
the subprocess in *nix environments as opposed to the SIGTERM that is
currently being sent. (Windows' destroy() method effectively behaves
like this already)

2) providing a facility to check whether the subprocess is still alive.

As per the bug report the toString/pid work has been left to be
completed separately.

Notes:

a) It has been pointed out to me that the addition of abstract methods
to java.lang.Process should be discussed, particularly as to whether
default methods should be provided.

b) In src/windows/native/java/lang/ProcessImpl_md.c I chose to use
WaitForSingleObject on the off chance that a process may choose to
return STILL_ACTIVE as an error code.

Thanks!

-Rob