Hi all,

In OpenJDK 8, some support has already been added for using the system
installation of zlib
(see the thread
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2012-July/010967.html),
which is very similar to the support we've had in IcedTea for the last five
years (wow, has
it really been that long?).

This is great news for us, as it's less work we have to do in upstreaming the
patch (though
7 still needs to be dealt with).  As is, the following webrev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~andrew/syslibs/zlib/webrev.01/

just fixes a few minor issues to match our existing setup, and fixes a bug
found when testing
the existing support.  In detail, the webrev:

* Replaces the hardcoded use of "-lz" with $(ZLIB_LIBS) and $(ZLIB_CFLAGS), now
set in
make_jdk_generic_profile.sh.
* Replaces "zlib.h" usage with <zlib.h> (mainly to reduce difference, searching
'.' has no effect either way)
* Stops uLong being defined if SYSTEM_ZLIB is set, even if we're not on Mac OS
X.  Without this fix, the build fails.

Ok for the build forest?  If so, can I please have a bug ID for this?

Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

PGP Key: 248BDC07 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EC5A 1F5E C0AD 1D15 8F1F  8F91 3B96 A578 248B DC07