Hopefully some day we would have fixed:
Bug 6373386 <http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6373386> - Method chaining for instance methods that return void

That would prevent us from such bloated sub classes.

Hopefully such "workarounds" would not force later incompatibilities

-Ulf

Am 23.08.2012 02:35, schrieb David Holmes:
On 22/08/2012 11:52 AM, David Holmes wrote:
StringBuilder.java

/**
+ * @throws IllegalArgumentException if n < 0 {@inheritDoc}

This is wrong as you've already written the inherited doc "if n < 0".

+ * @since 1.8
+ */
+ public StringBuilder append(int n, CharSequence cs) {
+ super.append(n, cs);
+ return this;
+ }

But why are you overriding this in the first place ??? There seems to be
no change in functionality or specification.

I missed the covariant change to the return type from AbstractStringBuilder to
StringBuilder.

I also suggested in email that the above could simply be:

  return super.append(n, cs);

but that would also need a cast to StringBuilder. So what Jim has is fine.

David
-----