Vitaly Davidovich wrote:

So it sounds like avoiding these locals is basically trying to work around current compiler limitations, rather than something more fundamental.

If javac did even a smidgen of optimization, this problem would
also go away.

I'm also curious if someone has actually noticed any perf degradation in hot code when adding locals like this (Doug? :)). If not (but perf tests were done), then I'm not sure it's worth worrying about.

Of course, I have measured actual performance problems -- otherwise
I would not be bringing up this issue :-) Not every case is a
problem, but there are some cases that matter, and it is not a
good idea to invite people to rewrite, just for the sake of warning
suppression, code that explicitly chose not to introduce redundant locals.

-Doug